The transition to a healthy lifestyle is not as easy as it might seem at first glance. The withdrawal or withdrawal period, when the body completely rebuilds its work due to a lack of nicotine, can be very painful. This applies not only to changes in psycho-emotional state - increased anxiety, irritability, but also to deterioration in physical well-being - a cough appears, the work of the digestive system changes, headaches torment. The listed symptoms are seen in almost everyone with many years of smoking experience, so not everyone copes and ends up with what they started.
How to quit smoking properly without harm to health and how to improve your well-being is important for those who have experienced withdrawal symptoms. To soften its manifestations, a smoker must follow a series of rules; Following them will improve your physical and mental state and allow you to get out of addiction without unnecessary stress.
General rules for quitting
To get the effect, follow these guidelines:
- Competently composed diet. It is known that after a heavy meal - fatty, fried, the sharp desire to smoke increases. However, these products should also be excluded from the menu because they create additional stress on the body. At the same time, you should use herbal teas, fruit drinks, mineral water; a large amount of fluid will help speed up the elimination of toxins. It is recommended to consume dairy products: milk changes the taste of cigarettes, smoking stops giving pleasure. However, you must drink unpasteurized natural milk, otherwise the required effect will not be achieved. It is advisable to drink a glass of hot drink every morning.
- It is also important to monitor your diet because people often "take advantage" of the stress associated with smoking and thus gain a lot of weight. So that you are not afraid of gaining weight, light and low-calorie foods are recommended, which will allow you to maintain your figure. For snacks, it is good not to use sweets and cookies, but vegetables and fruits.
- Elimination of alcohol, strong coffee and tea. All these products, together with cigarettes, are characterized by a stimulating effect on the body. Tea and coffee increase anxiety levels and cause sleep disturbances, and alcohol hinders self-control.
- Taking vitamins. Within 1-1. 5 months after quitting smoking, vitamin complexes should be taken. Especially during this period, it is recommended to take ascorbic acid.
- Use of nicotine-containing products. Patches, sprays, gum, which contain nicotine in small doses, can soften the withdrawal manifestations. Some people switch to e-cigarettes; it is easier to quit smoking, although the product is not harmless, so its use cannot be recommended.
- Breathing techniques. To calm down during a bout of irritability, it is recommended to use "belly breathing". The technique is safe and is used in yoga, meditation, sports training. The relaxation effect is observed almost instantly. In addition, deep breathing improves the functioning of the digestive system and strengthens the lungs. During inhalation, the abdomen protrudes and, when exhaling, it contracts strongly with the tension of the abdominal muscles.
- Correct diet and physical activity. The body during the period of quitting cigarettes is exposed to great stress, therefore it is necessary to pay attention to the restoration of vitality. Full sleep and sports are required. Physical activity stimulates the production of serotonin, which helps stabilize the emotional background.
Quit the habit abruptly or gradually
The opinion of psychologists is adamant: it is necessary to quickly eliminate cigarettes from life. With a gradual rejection, the number of cigarettes is gradually reduced or products with a lower content of nicotine and tar are purchased. A person struggles with the urge to smoke, but still lights cigarettes, so the body is under constant stress for a long time. The advantage of immediate abandonment is the immediate breakdown of the psychological and physical connection with the habit.
If you stop smoking abruptly, you should hold out for the first 3-5 days; After this period, the body itself will begin to produce nicotine and physical well-being will improve. However, the psychological discomfort can persist for a long time; In any emotionally unstable situation, there will be a desire to smoke.
At the same time, you need to understand that after a few days without nicotine, inhalation of tobacco smoke will lead to unpleasant sensations - dizziness, severe tachycardia. The body is clean and does not feel the need for a substance, but an old habit can take over. For many, these same feelings help them quit for good; clearly there is no pleasure, but some smoke several cigarettes in a row and return to addiction.
In some cases, phasing out is preferable. As a general rule, this recommendation applies to people who have smoked for more than 10 years. If blood pressure suddenly rises, seizures appear, severe headaches are tormented, it is necessary to consult a doctor: the doctor, having studied the patient's condition, will be able to answer what is the best way to quit smoking: soabrupt or gradual, and prescribe drugs that will help cope with the manifestations of withdrawal syndrome. . . .
For pregnant women and mothers of breastfed babies, quitting abruptly is the only right decision.
Nicotine is dangerous in any trimester of pregnancy, you cannot feed your baby milk, which contains toxins. Some women say that after they quit smoking, their breasts began to enlarge. Having noticed such changes, it is recommended to go to a mammologist just in case. As a rule, these two phenomena are not related, but hormonal changes are possible, and it is better not to abandon your condition, but to check. Smokers should be careful when using birth control pills. This combination leads to changes in the characteristics of the blood.
Common mistakes and misconceptions
Anyone who has tried to quit smoking has encountered the misconceptions cited in his book by popular author A. Carr.
These errors sound like this:
- I will smoke less.
- Only 1 cigarette.
- I'll drag it once.
Deleting all these phrases once and for all is good advice to listen to.
By limiting yourself in this way, you make smoking a pleasure, a treat you look forward to. The opposite effect is often observed: those who quit smoking even more.
There should be no exceptions called "just one cigarette" - this is a trap to get out of for years. When it comes to how long it takes to quit smoking, in most cases it takes as long as it takes to wrinkle and dispose of the pack. The potential probability of smoking lasts a lifetime; it all depends on the mood and motivation of the person.
Cigarettes should not be used as helpers in the fight against stress, bad mood. They won't help you focus or calm you down; For this, breathing techniques can be used that will be more effective and not harmful.
Do not think that something valuable and important is being taken from you, making you a victim. Suffering is not appropriate here, but you can be proud of yourself, because even despite difficulties, you return to a healthy lifestyle.
It is important to surround yourself with non-smokers, or at least avoid visiting smokers. The formation of his environment is extremely important when a person wants to stop smoking marijuana; here it is impossible to get out of addiction without changing the social circle.
If you are unable to completely quit smoking on your own at home, you should contact a narcologist. A non-smoker feels the taste of life more fully, breathes deeply in every sense of the word, so he should not continue to poison his body if he has already tuned in to health.