Even the ubiquitous health promotion today cannot reduce the number of people who smoke. But most of them are completely unaware that they don't exactly smoke according to the rules, so they hurt themselves. Inadequate smoking is more harmful to the body.
Apparently, what difficulties can arise when smoking?
Just grab a cigarette, light it, hold it to your lips, and then inhale. In reality, however, everything is somewhat more complicated, in the process of smoking there are also some rules and characteristics that must be taken into account. If you follow them, you can slightly reduce the damage to your body. In this article, you will learn how to properly hold and smoke a cigarette.
What to do first?
There is a simple movement that occurs in people who have smoked for a long time. Before lighting a cigarette, they tap the pack in the palm of their hand or tap it gently on the table to shake the contents. They do the same movement with the cigarette when they take it out of the pack. From the outside, it can look like some kind of mandatory ritual or some kind of nervous habit. But when you ask a smoker why he does it, he will find that in this way he weakens the tobacco, making it loose. The result of this manipulation is the fact that the cigarette is easier to smoke, takes longer, and will not be as strong.
The next step is to figure out how to properly hold the cigarette. To do this, you need to squeeze it at the base of two fingers. It is better to hold between the index and the middle. Then put down the cigarette.
Most smokers are known to prefer to pinch their cigarettes with their forefinger and thumb, thus hiding the smoking goby from others.
To hide your bad habit, you need to hold the cigarette in the same way, but at the same time bend your fingers into the palm. Thanks to this, you can make the cigarette less visible in your hand.
Now light a cigarette. This can be done using matches or a lighter. The cigarette should be held between the lips and the fire should be brought to the opposite side. At this point, you should start drawing air through it. Just as you drink a little liquid through a straw, these actions are somewhat similar to each other. The moment you start a fire, wait until the cigarette starts to burn on its own. Without waiting for this, it will just turn off, so it needs to be given a chance to turn on. The slow burning process of a cigarette should be uniform.
Common ways of smoking
How to smoke and hold a cigarette correctly? There are many different ways. We will share with you those that are used more frequently than others.
- You should start with this: hold a cigarette between your lips. Hold it with your fingers, set it on fire and inhale the smoke. You shouldn't do this too harshly, or you will get a bad cough.
- To taste tobacco, you need to hold the smoke in your mouth for a few seconds to cool it down.
- Then the smoke must be exhaled through the mouth. This should be done with the lips slightly compressed, as in a kiss.
- The whole smoking process should continue until the distance between the filter and the smoking tobacco is half a centimeter.
- Don't forget to shake off the ashes. This should be done after every second or third puff. The ashes should be shaken off by holding the cigarette with the thumb and middle finger, tapping closer to the smoking edge with the index finger.
The French way of smoking is also common among smokers. It consists in that after a puff, the smoke is exhaled through the mouth, after which it must be inhaled again through the nose.
In addition, there is also a known method that differs in that the smoke is exhaled through the nose. For example, it happens that a person does not smoke and literally immediately exhales the smoke without inhaling it into the lungs or retaining it in the mouth. So, it barely reaches the lungs.
If you fall into the trap of bad habits, in particular smoking, you should learn not only the rules of the process itself, but also the rules of behavior when you want to smoke.
A person who is clearly wondering how to start smoking will look uncomfortable during the process. For an aesthetic appearance, he should try to adhere to gentle pulling movements and not cough.
What is smoking etiquette and what is it like?
You have learned to smoke and hold a cigarette correctly, but this is not enough, it is also important to learn about the informal etiquette of smokers.
It consists of the following rules:
- If you have finished smoking a cigarette, it should be completely extinguished.
- Before lighting a cigarette at a party or in someone else's car, you should ask the owner of this property or the driver for permission.
- It is considered very rude for a woman to smoke while she is walking. For men, this is acceptable.
- It is not customary to speak with a cigarette between your teeth, blow the smoke in front of your interlocutor or surrounded by other people.
- If you have not finished smoking and have put your cigarette in the ashtray and it goes out, you should not light it again.
- When you smoke a cigarette indoors, do not stir the ashes on the floor. To do this, you need to use an ashtray.
- If a woman decides to smoke a cigarette in the presence of a representative of the opposite sex, then the man should turn on the cigarette light.
- If someone asks you to smoke one of their cigarettes, you should know that it is a violation of the label and that you can only do so in extreme cases.
What do you need to know about smoking?
- Never smoke in places where there are flammable substances.
- Smoking on an empty stomach can cause nausea.
- Smoking can cause miscarriage in pregnant women.
- Nicotine causes the appearance and exacerbation of ulcers, intestinal colitis and the development of other problems in the digestive tract.
- The nicotine poison in smoke often affects the lungs, larynx, esophagus, and other organs and causes cancer.
- Secondhand smoke is as dangerous to health as active smoking, especially for people with asthma and heart problems.
- Male and female reproductive function is directly dependent on smoking.
- You should not smoke in bed, as the fire from the smoking cigarette can hit the fabric and cause a fire.
- Beginners can develop symptoms of nicotine poisoning. Until the moment the body gets used to the bad habit, symptoms can manifest as nausea, dizziness, and vomiting.
In this article, we examine in detail how to hold a cigarette and how to smoke it. If you get addicted to this bad habit, decide for yourself. Before you start smoking, you should be aware of all the possible health consequences and bodily risks that smoking can cause for you and your loved ones.