Heavy smokers who are trying to break their nicotine addiction for the first time face an irresistible force: a strong desire for habitual occupation. A person can hold out for days and months, and then he breaks down, feels guilty, and for a long time loses interest in trying again. Think about how to quit smoking on your own at home, without contacting a narcologist and psychotherapist and without resorting to dubious methods.
Causes of tobacco addiction
To break a habit, you need to know its nature. Addiction develops in two directions: psychological and physiological.The psychological aspect is much stronger: nobody is born with a cigarette in their mouth, then comes to this occupation under the pressure of social and emotional situations. In 90% of cases, success in the fight against nicotine addiction appears after determining the factor that caused the first puff.
Psychologists and sociologists identify the following causes of the problem:
- An example of the people around you, especially parents. Children unconsciously strive to grow up and imitate their elders.
- Strive to adapt to the environment. An adult can smoke if he joins a smoking team. Many are addicted to nicotine in the military, at school, or in jail.
- Systematic stress. The cigarette provides the illusion of calm and temporarily stimulates the thought process.
There are studies that show the relationship between social aspects and the acquisition of bad habits. The risk of nicotine addiction increases with strained relationships between parents, divorce, in dysfunctional and single parent families. A woman gets used to nicotine faster and finds it harder to quit smoking.
Simultaneously with psychological dependence, physiological dependence develops, which does not facilitate abandonment. 7 seconds after inhalation of tobacco smoke, nicotine enters the brain through the blood, where it acts on the nicotine-sensitive cholinergic receptor. In response, the body increases the amount of adrenaline and dopamine, the pleasure hormone. The smoker relaxes and experiences a brief euphoria. In addition, the mood worsens, depression develops, and a new dose of nicotine is required. Dependence develops, acquiring a ritual character: the desire to smoke is "tied" at the end of the work process, the culmination of sexual relations, eating, the friendly encounter and other circumstances. Therefore, it is more difficult for a heavy smoker than for a beginner.
Why you need to get rid of a bad habit ASAP
Only a deaf person has not heard that smoking is harmful. However, not everyone is fully aware of the consequences of this habit and some do not even know it. This leads to insufficient motivation and they can be together for years without taking the decisive step to combat addiction.
Here are some facts that explain the need to combat nicotine addiction:
- Inhaling tobacco smoke has been found to increase the risk of lung cancer 23 times in men and 13 times in women. It also increases the chance of developing laryngeal cancer.
- Smoking also accounts for 90% of the causes of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Smokers have a 40% higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Every year 600, 000 people die from secondhand smoke. Among them there may be relatives of the smoker.
- Tobacco smoke also increases the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome). If at least one of the parents is susceptible to this addiction, their child may die unexpectedly while sleeping. Children 1 to 12 months are at risk.
There are other factors that may make you think. For example, a waste of time. It takes an average of 4 minutes to smoke a cigarette. If a smoker needs a pack a day, he loses more than an hour. 40 hours in a month and 480 hours or 20 days in a year. This is time stolen from a family or a favorite business.
Not everyone is successful in fighting tobacco at home. This is due to the family environment and situations that provoke a strong and uncontrollable desire. In this case, a temporary move or a trip will help you, you can do it in the company of non-smokers. With this approach, you can launch abruptly without putting the matter in the background. The view that this should not be done has not been confirmed by research.
How to quit smoking on your own at home
You can take medicine, apply bandages and drink herbal teas, but if you don't understand the causes of nicotine addiction, it will all be in vain.This is the first thing to do when starting to fight the habit at home. Then you can experiment with techniques to end addictions for good.
Fool the body
Self-hypnosis often helps fight various types of addictions. In the case of smoking, you can try to trick the body by cutting all the cigarettes in the pack in half and folding them back. This method is effective with more than 10 years of experience and use of one pack a day. Its essence lies in deceiving the body: the smoker smokes a "whole" cigarette, but the nicotine and tar is supplied in half.
Gradual release is effective if there is a firm commitment to ending the problem. After a month, you can reduce the amount of tobacco used per day. The main thing is to resist the temptation to light one cigarette after another. It's easier than quitting right away.
The method usually helps a girl or a woman and is based on the formation of a disgust reflex. Medicine recognizes aversive therapy in narcology, but the evaluation of its effectiveness is ambiguous. The downsides include unpleasant symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting.
To cause discomfort when smoking, rinse your mouth with one of the following solutions:
- thermopsis infusion;
- water with tannin;
You can also soak cigarettes in milk or cream, then dry and smoke them for at least a week instead of the usual ones. You will not be able to enjoy the taste, the combination of tobacco and milk will cause you nausea and even vomiting. Such methods help many, but there are also negative reviews.
A relatively easy method is suitable for smokers regardless of gender and has a sobering effect: many cannot quickly get rid of addiction just because they periodically forget and light a cigarette before realizing what is happening. In this case, a tight elastic band that is placed on the wrist will help. As soon as the desire arises, you must carry it out and release it. The sensations are quite sensitive, but the effect is remarkable.
This technique helps even with a weak will, the main thing is to show diligence and perseverance. Over time, the sensitivity of the wrist can weaken, so you can use a tighter elastic band. Similarly, you can really distract yourself by thinking about a cigarette.
Intake of oxygen helps to effectively combat withdrawal syndrome and facilitates withdrawal. There are many effective exercises, here is the simplest one that is best done outdoors or on the balcony:
- Stand up straight, legs together, lower your arms.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose, hold your breath for 5 seconds.
- Also breathe out slowly through your mouth.
- Take 10 breaths, rest one minute.
- Repeat the exercise.
If you do the exercise correctly, you can feel dizzy from the excess oxygen entering the blood, this is normal. With regular exercise, the urge to smoke will weaken and then disappear completely. Starting to exercise sets you up for success.
How to quickly quit smoking with home remedies
A person trying to fight smoking may experience discomfort, dizziness, and a feeling of relaxation in the arms and legs. At the same time, irritability will increase, the development of a depressive state is possible. These violations indicate a withdrawal syndrome, which home remedies help to combat:
- Eucalyptus infusion: a tablespoon of leaves in a glass of boiling water, leave to act for an hour. Drink a quarter cup 6-7 times a day for a month.
- Oat broth: pour a tablespoon of grain with a glass of water, leave it overnight. In the morning simmer for 10 minutes, then cool, drink instead of tea. According to reviews, with the help of a decoction, you can get rid of the habit without pain.
- Infusion of St. John's wort: one tablespoon in two glasses of water, let stand for 20 minutes. Drink with honey 5-7 times a day, the duration of the course is at least a month. The infusion is contraindicated in pregnant women.
You can simply mix equal amounts of blackcurrant and mint leaves. Pour a teaspoon of the mixture with a glass of boiling water, leave it for half an hour. Drink in small sips whenever you have a craving.
Home remedy reviews are not always straightforward. For some people herbs don't work, others face unpleasant consequences. It is necessary to consult with a competent herbalist before starting treatment. Be guided by the opinion of doctors: cardiologists, narcologists, psychotherapists. They can take individual characteristics into account and find the best ways to deal with addiction.
How to Quit Smoking Easily, Long-Term Smoking Tips: 10 Tips
It is good practice to adopt someone else's experience. We have compiled tips from those who are now free from addiction and living freely. They can help you too.
- Don't watch TV at night, it will save your nerves. Sleep 8 hours.
- If the urge to smoke has become unbearable and you are at home, take a cold or contrast shower.
- Stop drinking strong tea and coffee. Caffeine increases the smoker's need for nicotine.
- Try not to overeat or use spices. Eat three times a day to avoid weight gain.
- Throw away everything that reminds you of smoking in the house: ashtrays, lighters, accessories.
- Try not to get into situations where you are used to smoking a cigarette.
- Try not to get discouraged. As soon as the bad mood hits, the legs will run alone to the tobacco stand.
- If you go to bed no later than 10 pm, it will be easier to combat the urge to smoke in the morning.
- Try not to communicate with those who smoke. First, it is easier to break that way. Second, some "comrades" will try to deflect it. Pitchers' failures are often related to the envy feelings of others.
- Use menthol popsicles in a box instead of cigarettes.
The last advice from a Christian for people who believe in God. It is difficult for a person to fight with himself, but for God everything is possible. If the desire to quit smoking is sincere, ask Jesus Christ in prayer. Just get on your knees and say, "Lord, I want to quit, help me. "Believe that He is powerful to rid you of any sin, including smoking.
Anti-smoking pills, an overview of the most effective drugs
There are no medications that can completely combat the urge to inhale tobacco smoke. The action of the funds is different: they weaken the severity of the withdrawal syndrome and help the body to recover faster. Smoking pills can be found in any pharmacy, consider popular and useful drugs.
A powerful remedy for people looking to quit smoking. It is a powerful natural alkaloid found in Indian tobacco and has a complex effect on the body. If you follow the recommended course, the following effects are observed:
- the frequency of headaches decreases;
- irritability decreases;
- eliminates nervousness.
Lobeline regulates the work of the respiratory system, as a result, more oxygen enters the body of the pitcher and an accelerated withdrawal of nicotine occurs. They drink 1 tablet up to five times a day for a week. Then the dose is gradually reduced.
Composition of the plant
The best herbal product that tastes good and helps reduce cravings to smoke tobacco. The product contains a complex of extracts:
- Clary Sage
- rose hips;
If you want to smoke, you need to dissolve 1-2 pills. The duration of the course can be any, the main thing is that there is no harmful desire.
A powerful drug that will help get rid of addiction for those who cannot control themselves and their cravings and have a long history of smoking.
According to the official instructions for use, they drink one tablet twice a day with plenty of water. The dose is gradually increased, at the beginning of the course they drink half 500 mcg once a day, from the fourth day one piece a day and from the eighth day they take 1 piece. 2 times a day.
The downside of varenicline is its many side effects. Men and women who quit smoking experienced nausea, bronchitis, increased body mass index, headaches, and in some cases suicidal tendencies.
What happens in the body when you stop smoking
Keep in mind that the first positive changes in the body occur within 20 minutes after quitting smoking - blood pressure gradually normalizes. This information helps us tune in to keep fighting.
Subsequent changes at specific intervals:
- 8 hours: the level of carbon monoxide in the blood will be reduced to a minimum;
- 12 hours: bad breath will disappear;
- day: blood pressure normalizes;
- two days - taste sensations will become brighter;
- third day - physiological dependence disappears;
- week: the sense of smell will be fully restored: a person will be felt smoking tens of meters away;
- month - health will return to normal, night cough will disappear, erection in men will increase;
- three months: blood flow will increase, tissue oxygenation will increase by 35%;
- 9 months - The immune system will fully recover and resistance to colds will increase.
After one year, the risk of developing cancer of the lung, larynx, and esophagus will be cut in half. Those who quit smoking 5 years ago have the same risk of dying from myocardial infarction as non-smokers.